Saturday, September 15, 2012

Beet Greens with Tofu and Soba Noodles


When the end of summer nears closer and closer I feel myself clinging to the seasons best produce; green beans, tomatoes, peaches, and berries. Even though I'm actually slowly getting tired of these foods and actually can't wait to dive into my first winter squash or bag of brussels sprouts, I just feel like I need to avoid eating fall/winter vegetables as long as I can because before I know it beets, potatoes, cabbage and turnips will be some of my only culinary choices. 

During todays market trip however I just couldn't help myself. Its been weeks that I've been eyeing bunches of beets and piles of winter squash and I couldn't resist them any longer. We're heading out of the city for a few days tomorrow so I knew I needed to make quick work of the beet greens before my refrigerators crisper gets to them first. 

I think every fall I search for new exciting things to do with beets, especially the greens. I love their flavour but often find it quite overpowering.
After checking all my usual sources for inspiration and finding nothing, google provided me with this recipe from Canadian Living. I added this yummy tofu my friend Renee got me hooked on, as well as cashews and soba noodles. It was the perfect quick Saturday lunch! 


Inspired by Canadian Living

soba noodles
1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
handful of cashews, halved or chopped
tablespoon vegetable oil
small block of tofu (I used some packaged fried and sweetened tofu used to make Inari)
clove of garlic
small nub of ginger
bunch of beet greens, sliced in wide ribbons
2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil

Boil soba noodles in boiling salted water, drain and set aside.
In a large skillet or wok toast sesame seeds over medium-high heat. They'll start to brown and smell fragrant when ready. Transfer to bowl and set aside. Toast or lightly brown cashews in the same manner and set aside.
Add a bit of vegetable oil to pan and add tofu. Let cook for a few minutes then add grated ginger and garlic. Toss in beet greens and stir well. Drizzle sesame oil over greens liberally and continue to toss in pan as the greens wilt, about 3 minutes.
Add seeds and nuts to pan and remove from heat.
Top soba noodles with greens and serve hot.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog via The Fiesty Chef's twitter and love it. Will be coming back often. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails