Sunday, July 1, 2012

Strawberry Coconut Tart


Please tell me you have a favourite cook book that you keep coming back to again and again only to be further impressed and inspired by. Because then maybe I won't feel so crazy for gushing over my long time favourite book "Super Natural Everyday" for the millionth time.
I just love how Swanson manages to make such wholesome foods that taste so damn good. If you still haven't looked for this book in your local library I will try to forgive you if you insist you'll go do it now.

Last night I decided to give this coconut tart a whirl, seeing as I just can't seem to get enough strawberries but needed a new form in which to devour them. This lil gem was just perfect! Not too sweet or too heavy.
I think I'm definitely going to make this all summer long with a variety of fresh fruit like peaches, raspberries, and plums.

Adapted from "Super Natural Everyday" by Heidi Swanson

Crust:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (Swanson calls for fine but I used medium and it still tasted great)
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
10 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
4 large egg whites
8 ounces fresh fruit, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup crushed pistachios

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a tart pan (I used a spring form cake pan). 
In a large bowl combine flour, coconut, sugar, and salt. Add melted butter and stir until mixture is crumbly but not dry or dusty. Press mixture firmly into base of pan into a solid flat layer. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool. 
Meanwhile mix coconut, sugar and egg whites. Mix well until combined. 
Evenly distribute fruit over tart crust. Drop dollops of coconut filling over fruit and then using your fingers press filling down between fruit. Let some pieces of fruit poke through filling (I found it easier to pull some berries up out of the filling and place them on top). 
Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the peaks of the filling are deeply golden (this took me closer to 35 minutes). Let cool then garnish with crushed nuts before slicing. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails