Saturday, March 19, 2011

Quick Drop Biscuits


I think one of my most cherished gifts from my mother might have to be the copy of "Joy of Cooking" she gave me years ago.
I have such warm memories not only of my mothers very stained and tattered copy of that classic cookbook, but also of the many childhood favourite foods that came from within its pages.

There's something else about this book that just has such a special place in my heart. I guess the fact that it was written by an American homemaker in the 1930's could explain that. I feel like its pages just ooze with a sense of history and I can't help but think of all the generations of homemakers who depended on this book to guide them into the kitchen.

As a homemaker myself I must confess I don't refer to the "Joy of Cooking" quite as much as my mother may have. But there are a few recipes (like the one used to make these biscuits) that I wouldn't think of looking anywhere else for.

From Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer  and Marion Rombauer Becker

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
4-6 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup milk
*I added 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary today, but they taste wonderful as is

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and mix well. Cut butter into pieces and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter, a fork or your hands cut the butter into the flour to form a coarse meal. Add milk and stir until dough forms. Drop from a spoon (or your hands) onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I have used this recipe for 40 years...perfect recipe for blackberry, peach, raspberry or any berry cobbler...apples too...enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, misplaced my Joy of Cooking in our move.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails