Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mexican Wedding Cakes


The other day a friend asked me what some of my family's christmas traditions were, the kind that have lasted since childhood. I could really only think of a few.
Just as the old handmade ornaments that my brother, sister and I made as kids have disappeared over the years from our family home, perhaps some of our old traditions have too. But as I said there were a few things I could think of...
We've always listened to Handel's Messiah on vinyl, we've always eaten scrambled eggs on christmas morning (and called them "christmas eggs"), we've always used the same strand of large red and green lights on our tree, and we've always baked some mexican wedding cakes.


1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cup ground almonds
2 cups flour


Cream butter and sugar together. Add vanilla and mix well. 
Add ground almonds, mix until combined, then add flour and mix well. 
Chill dough for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Roll dough into small balls and place on cookie sheet about an 1" apart. Bake for 20 minutes (they will start to slightly crack a little when they're done, but still be quite pale in colour).
Transfer to a cooling rack and when cool enough to handle toss in a bag of icing sugar to coat. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails