Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Granola


After ordering oodles of dried goods from Speerville Flour Mill, I've been just itching to make granola, but have been putting it off as I finish up the box of store-bought granola I had in my pantry. 


For the last week or so, each morning that I ate the boxed granola I just couldn't help but dream about my own granola and how much more delicious it would be. You can probably imagine that my willpower failed and this morning (with a 1/4 full box of granola still in the pantry) I just couldn't wait any longer. 









I vaguely followed Martha Stewart's Flaxseed Granola from the "Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics", below is the recipe with my own adaptations:


2 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup sesame seeds




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss together oats, coconut, and nuts in a large roasting pan. Whisk together 1/4 cup of oil, and 1/4 cup of honey, and stir into the oat mixture. Spread mixture out evenly on pan, and bake stirring occasionally, until golden brown (this took about 20 minutes for me).
Let cool for 10 minutes, toss with remaining 1/4 cup of oil, and 1/4 cup honey. Transfer to bowl or whatever container you'll be using to store granola, and stir in raisins, and seeds. 


This recipe was good (definitely better than boxed) but I think next time I'm going to add some vanilla, maybe a pinch of cinnamon...maybe even ginger...


Ooh and don't forget to check out my homemade yogurt recipe, and you can brag that you made your breakfast completely from scratch!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails